Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Organized Chaos

For the first time in my adult life my clothes are not organized by color and sleeve length. Now coming from just anyone that is just funny. Coming from me however, that is shocking. You can ask any woman in my community group about the organization of my kitchen drawers. Everything has a place. I mean who doesn't want a kitchen and pantry like this?

Oh wait... This is NOT what my kitchen looks like.

I truly love organization. I have even thought at times about starting an organizing business. I do believe there is a place for everything in a home. HOWEVER.... When it becomes such a part of who your are, that it takes over, that is not a good thing. (I do not have OCD...yet :) )

Over the last few years since Thomas has come home and we have discussed kids, the though of the dishes being put away in the wrong places has sent me into a minor panic. I mean there has to be a way to teach them the correct place for things right?

Yes, I know you can teach children the correct place for things, but that was not the point. God has been teaching me to relax in life. There is no need to color organize my closet or to have the house completely in order every time some one comes to visit. Clean yes, immaculate no.

In fact just the other day during a women's event God reminded me again to relax. I did not need the craft to be perfectly aligned. (Thank you Robyn!) Although it stems from a crazy childhood where I didn't always feel a ton of control being 1 of 6 kids, my need for organization and control was getting out of control, hehe. Irony.

So here I am, learning how to let go of control and how to be slightly less organized. And honestly, it feels good. Not chaotic like I imagined, but freeing. Now don't get me wrong, there is still a place for everything, but maybe there will be a few more baskets of random that don't get put away as quickly. And if you stop by (which I love unexpected visitors!) the house might not be spotless. Because little by little God is refining me.