Sunday, August 26, 2012

Attempting a clean house

This weekend Thomas and I did a complete spring cleaning. We literately went from room to room and in each room we went from top to bottom. Naturally the bathroom was the worst. And of course my favorite part of the bathroom is the tile in the shower.

So in all of my pinteresting (yes I just made that a new word), I came across a mixture of baking soda and bleach to clean grout. Well this time the grout definitely needed bleach. But let me tell you what... It worked!

I originally found the recipe here, but I have seen it at at least 5 other places since then. 


The first time around it said to use a tooth brush. So there I sat cleaning the grout line by little line. That was torture! As much as I hate cleaning there had to be a better way! 30 minutes of my time for an 8th of the showerwas not worth it. So I left it on there 10 minutes and then I scrubbed and got a great arm workout. I didnt think it worked that well till I looked at it later that night. It sparkled! In comparison anyway.

And then I got smarter. This time around I put on my handy dandy yellow cleaning gloves... We all know the $1 pair, right? And I just smeared the mixture all over the walls! I was done in about 10 minutes. And I decided to let it sit for 30 minutes this time around. Results? Beauty. I didn't have to scrub. Not one bit. 

Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup bleach

Mix until it becomes a paste. Smear in all grout cracks.
Wait 30 minutes and rinse/wipe down the area.

We have an 80's style bathroom with tons of grout, so with my two little walls and one big wall I have to make 4 times the mixture to get it all. But hopefully you have tons less grout and need less of the mixture.

Also next times am thinking of replacing the bleach with vinegar. A little less toxic. If you try out the vinegar and it works can you let me know? 

Happy cleaning!