Monday, July 29, 2013

A Day in the Life

Some highlights from a simple day in the life in our household.
At 5 am when we leave for work, we will come outside and see this in our front yard. Hello there Bambi's brother.
One weekend we sold our first little Volvo only to come home with another. More to come on that story.
Almost every Saturday morning lately Thomas has asked me what is for breakfast. I can't really blame him considering he makes us breakfast every work day morning. Well he wasn't anticipating waiting for 3 hours this morning. Oops. 
I combined these three recipes to come up with the picture above.
I made the crust from here.
The cherry filling from here.
And the the pastry cream and general baking instructions from here.
I worked from home due to an appointment the other day and this beauty was staring at me from the window. I couldn't help but to go outside and capture the beauty. Love.
I decided that I wanted to make some pickles because we grew cucumbers this year and after a little research, deciding I didn't want to have to water bath or pressure can them, I combined this recipe and this recipe, and came up with the following.

Sweet and Sour Refrigerator Pickles
1.5 TB Vinegar
1/2 TB Kosher or Pickling Salt
1/2 TB Dill
1 TB Sugar
Cucumbers
Filtered Water

Cut the ends off of the cucumbers and cut them into spears or slices and place them in a pint sized mason jar.
Add all the additional ingrediants other then the water. 
Fill up the jar with in a 1/2 of an inch from the top with water.
Shake well.
Place on the counter for 24 hours. At 12 hours, shake and turn upside down.
Place in the refrigerator and chill for the best taste. 
Enjoy!