Sunday, December 1, 2013

Buying Hiatus

This past year Thomas and I have spent lots of time minimizing the things in our home and just over all simplifying our life. The newest crazy idea we have come up with is a buying hiatus. 

NO SPENDING ON ANY "THINGS".

Essentially this spending hiatus is to simply stop bringing extras into our lives and our homes for the next year. Starting today. Thomas and I are not buy things to bring into our home.

Yes we can buy consumables such as food, toilet paper (your welcome), toiletries (your also welcome), and replacement items for things that break.

What we can't buy are things like clothing, decorations, and dishes (dang!).

So from now, December 1st, 2013 for 1 year until November 30th, 2014, Thomas and I (yes he has agreed with only a little arm twisting from me) are holding each other accountable to a buying hiatus. 

This has nothing to do with the amount of money spent (although I would wager to say we will save over the next year) and more to do with stuff we simply don't need. Because we will still spend money on going places and doing adventures.

So this year Christmas and birthdays are going to be different. We are going to Europe which means that we don't need to do presents for Christmas. And for birthday's... It's my 30th and I plan on jumping out of a plane. So that experience will be plenty for me. Not sure what Thomas wants to do considering he DEFINITELY will NOT jump out of a plane with me. Life will definitely be very intentional and different this year. 

And I love it.

And yes, of course I went through moments where I thought... I HAVE to get tall black boots before we start this! And I laughed at myself, because really Mica? That is not what this is about. It is about being content with the over abundance that we ALREADY own.

But really, all that aside.... It's the first day of advent. And I love this time of the year.


Thoughts? Are any of you crazy enough to ever do this? Excited to see how it changes us.